Historical period: Seljuq Empire Location: Center of Tabriz The International Bazaar of Tabriz, one of the masterpieces of Iran and world architecture is situated on path of Silk Road and has over 1 Km area. Ithas 5500 shops, 35 Sara, 25 Timcheh (passageway with shops), 30 mosques, 20 Rasteh Bazaar (rows of shops), 11 vestibules, 9 Seminaries, 5 public bath. With 40 different jobs, Tabriz Bazaar, one of the biggest trading centers of Silk Road represents eastern-Islamic life.
The Blue Mosque
The Blue mosque of Tabriz was built upon the order of Jahan Shah the ruler of Kara Koyunlu dynasty which made Tabriz the capital of his Kingdom. His Kingdom covered major parts of modern Iran, Azerbaijan, and Turkey. He was killed by Uzun Hassan (the ruler of Ak Koyunlu) and buried on the only parts of the mosque that survived.
Location: Ferdousi junction Historical period:Ilkhanate Era This building constructed between 719 and 724 AH by Tajoddin Alishah the prime minister of Oljayto and Abosaeed Bahador. The building is 30 meters wide and the walls have an average height of 25 meters. The building was a store of cereals and arsenal and bailey was built round it and was called Arg« citadel« in the Qajar era. It was registered as number 170 in the list of national relics in 1931.
El goli (shahgoli)
Historical period: aquyunlu – safavid –qajar Position: southeast of Tabriz El goli is among the most beautiful parks of Iran .It is located in the southeast of Tabriz. It has a 317 by 200 meters pool. Qahraman Mirza, repaired and reconstructed in the Qajar era. There is a small island with an edifice in the middle of pool. The previous edifice that had been in form of a pavilion the new building was built in two floors in form of a pavilion. A wellequipped amusement park has been made beside this park in the recent decades.
Jameh Mosque is one of the historical monuments of Tabriz. Its date of construction is not known. Since its foundation, it has been surrounded by a market. The most ancient part of this mosque is its vast roofed area. It has an arch and domes, based on octagonal brick pillars, covered with delicate and artistic plasterwork of the 5th century AH (after hegira). This mosque was repaired during the rule of Mongol Ilkhanid Dynasty, which built additional sections to this mosque. Its high-altitude altar and plasterwork are reminders of that era.
Municipality edifice of Tabriz
Historical period: Pahlavi 1 Location: Sa’at Square of Tabriz The Municipality Edifice of Tabriz, considered as the symbol of municipalities of Iran,is one of the most beautiful and firm buildings of Tabriz. This unique place, also known as the symbol of Tabriz metropolis in Iran and globe, has always served as a city hall to govern municipal affairs. Therefore, the building became the first municipal museum of Iran in 2007(simultaneous with celebrations of 100th anniversary of opening of municipal activities in Iran). The museum is unique in its type after municipal museum of China. This edifice was erected in Nowbar neighborhood when Hajj Arfa’-ol Mulk Jalili was the mayor of the city. The building looks like a flying eagle from above. It has a German architectural style. The building has a clock tower of 30.4 meters with four faces that rings every 15 minutes. All municipality affairs were governedin this building for many years.
Rab'-e Rashidi (Persian: رَبع رشیدی) was an academic campus in the north-eastern part of the city Tabriz, mostly constructed in late 13th century during the reign of king Ghazan, a ruler of the Ilkhanid dynasty. The campus was a part of the Rab-Rashidi endowment which is named after Rashid-al-Din Hamadani, minister of Ghazan khan. Rashid-al-Din sought to gather the most famous intellectuals of his time in fields of philosophy, science and medicine. The establishment started to decline shortly after death of Rashid al din. The remaining parts of Rab'-e Rashidi were later damaged by natural disasters. Only a small part of the ruined establishment remains standing with most of its remaining structures under 6 meters of soil . Archaeologists are excavating and studying the large complex.
Position: Seqat-ol Eslam Street, the eastern wing of Seyyed Hamzeh Mausoleum Historical period: Pahlavi-Islamic Republic The graveyard of Orafa (Gnostics) and Sho’ara (poets), situated in Sorkhab neighborhood, has been mentioned in most historical documents. The oldest Persian biographical text about poets that has mentioned this graveyard is Nozhat-ol Qolob, written by Hamd-ollah Mostowfi in 740 AH, This graveyard is the last resting place of several famous poets, Gnostics, scholars, and sages.
The Amir Nezām House
The Amir Nezām House or The Qajar Museum of Tabriz, is a historical building in the Sheshghelan district (Persian:ششگلان), one of the oldest quarters of the city of Tabriz, Iran. The base of the edifice covers an area of 1500 square metres. This monument which since 2006 houses a museum dedicated to the Qajar dynasty (1781-1925)
Kandovan is a village in Sahand Rural District, in the Central District of Osku County, East Azerbaijan Province, Iran. This village exemplifies manmade cliff dwellings which are still inhabited. The troglodyte homes, excavated inside volcanic rocks and tuffs similar to dwellings in the Turkish region of Cappadocia, are locally called "Karaan". Karaans were cut into the Lahars (volcanic mudflow or debris flow) of Mount Sahand. The cone form of the houses is the result of lahar flow consisting of porous round and angular pumice together with other volcanic particles that were positioned in a grey acidic matrix. After the eruption of Sahand these materials were naturally moved and formed the rocks of Kandovan. Around the village the thickness of this formation exceeds 100 m and with time due to water erosion the cone shaped cliffs were formed.
In 1854, Mirza Sanglakh Khorasank had stone-cutted and glided a marble stone with dimensions of 2.8 meter, 1.3 meter as width and 35 centimeters as diameter, weighing approximately 3 tones, with the intention of erection in holly shrine of profit Muhammad in 8 years and and wrote the great word of "Besme-Allah-Alrahman-Alrahim" (In the name of the generous the merciful) with an especiall pen in Nastaliq(method of Iranian calligraphy) in Qahere city and wrote Persian, Arabic and Turkish poems for praise profit Muhammad which has known as Besme-Allah stone This stone had came to Tabriz by Arrade( a kind of wagon) with much suffering and bitterness and located in Saheb-Al-Zamann mosque and was magnificently welcomed by people and it cause to compose a poem about this stone.
The Tomb of Two Kamals
The Tomb of Two Kamals, or in short the 2-Kamal Tomb, is a funerary monument in Tabriz, Iran. Two Kamals – the 14th-century poet Kamal Khujandi and the 15th-century miniaturist Kamaleddin Behzad – are buried in an underground chamber: visitors descend about 10 steps to see the two tombs. There are also statues of the two Kamals near the tomb.
Literary Museum of Ostad Shahriyar
Historical period: Pahlavi era Position: Maqsodiyeh Alley, Nowbar neighborhood The house of Ostad Mohammad Hossein Behjat Tabrizi, pen named as Shahriyar, occupies nearly 250 square meters in Nowbar neighborhood, Maqsodiyeh Alley of Tabriz. It has been built in late 1940s. This house has been bought by Ostad Shahriyar in 1968. He spent his last 20 years in this house. Therefore, this building was bought by Tabriz municipality office after his death in 1988. The house exhibits the poet’s personal belongings, pictures, poetical works, and calligraphies.
Tabriz, a city some 600km northwest of the Iranian capital Tehran, was in its heyday 700 years ago, the capital of the Mongol dynasty in the Islamic Republic of Iran and a regional intellectual and cultural hub under Il-Khan Mahmud Ghazan (1295-1304). Ghazan Khan’s wazir, or Lord Chancellor, Khajeh Rashid al-Din Fazlollah Hamadani, was a brilliant doctor and mathematician. He was the author of the monumental Persian-language history, Jami al-Tawarikh, and founded an academic complex known as the Rab' i-Rashidi, or Suburb of Rashid, on the outskirts of Tabriz. This contained a paper mill, library, teaching hospital, orphanage, caravanserai, textile factory, teachers’ training college and seminary and attracted students and thinkers from as far away as China. The purpose of this endowment, or waqf, was to ensure that as many of the scientific treatises authored by Rashid al-Din or which fell into his possession, could be copied as protection against destruction. The Deed of Endowment of the Rab' i-Rashidi, and details the justification for the complex, the management system, administration and the budget of the endowed properties, which included land in present-day Afghanistan, Asia Minor, Azerbaijan, Georgia, the Islamic Republic of Iran, Iraq and Syria. The manuscript is 382 pages long, of which the first 290 pages were written by Rashid al-Din himself, and the rest by the Governor of Tabriz, Abdullah Bin Mohammad Tabrizi and two scribes. Due to the vast scope of the endowed properties and the high value of them as well as the high status of the Rab' i-Rashidi, this manuscript is of universal significance. Moreover the institution of the waqf, or endowment, is a central pillar of Islamic society, and this Deed therefore provides an important record of political and economic administration in Central Asia at a time of great dynamism and change.